Sunday, November 27, 2005

I Bought A Pair Of Nikes

This is probably not a huge event in anyone's life, nor is it a huge event in mine, but I found it interesting that I actually bought a pair of Nikes for the first time in a long time. I think the last time I wore Nikes was in my junior year of high school, and I'm fairly certain that I bought those Nikes in my sophomore year, which would mean the last pair of Nikes I bought was in 1993.

I generally don't buy Nikes for several reasons. First is that a lot of the new Nikes are really ugly. I don't know when ugly shoes came into style, but some of the shoes they put out there are really just gross. Second, the ones that are even remotely cool generally cost over $100. So do a lot of the ugly ones that people still seem to buy, incidentally.

Over the years I became partial to a a low top casual sortof sneaker. I especially like th Adidas shell tops and I own 4 pairs of those at last count, purple striped, brown corduroy, hemp khaki colored, and all white. Nike makes a similar sneaker that's just kindof a casual walking shoe that a lot of my students wear. They come in all sorts of colors, but the most popular is white on white. This is a simple shoe and it's ridiculously expensive only because they're popular. They generally cost between $65 and $75 and that's just way too much, in my opinion.

The Adidas I bought were all on sale and I paid like $30, $30, $40, and $50 for them if I remember correctly. When I buy sneakers $50 is generally my absolute upper limit. Usually I buy sneakers that cost $30-$40 and I won't consider any that cost more.

So I came upon these Nikes at Modell's on Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. They were on some sort of clearance, and I don't know if they are an old design or what, but they were marked way down to $40 from an original price of I think $80 or maybe more. I don't ever recall seeing a pair of Nikes that I liked that I was also willing to pay for, but this was it. I guess it's not newsworthy, but it was news to me. Here they are. Click on them to see the bigger picture:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home