Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Fuck, I'm old.

Conversation today between my class and me.

"Yo mista, that kid is breathing all hard."
"Huh?"
"He's breathing funny, like he's sleeping or something."
"Oh, like Darth Vader."
"Who?"
"Darth Vader."
"Who's that?"
"Are you serious?"
"Yeah, who is that?"
"[student X], do you know who Darth Vader is?"
"No."
"[student Y], do you know who Darth Vader is?"
"No."
"[student Z], do you know who Darth Vader is?"
"I think so. He's from that movie right, with the swords [light saber noise]."
"Oh yeah, mista, he's from Star Wars."
"Oh, I know who you mean now. He's all black and stuff."
"Yeah, he goes 'Luke, I'm your father,' right mista."

Before I explained it in detail, only about 10 of the 30 kids knew who Darth Vader was. After I explained it, they all knew who I was talking about, but couldn't place the name right away.

Comments:
Oh man. What's next?

"Mista. Who is O.J. Simpson?"
 
Oh snap. I downloaded King's Quest and Space Quest from Limewire. Awesome.
 
we downloaded king's quest last night.

push rock.

talk king.

swim.

get bag.

-luke
 
This is getting way off Jerry's topic, but have you guys ever played games like "Wishbringer", text-only games?

I also distinctly remember games I had for my Apple IIc in the early 80s.

I was just having a discussion with a co-worker about bulletin boards, which pre-dated things like Prodigy and AOL.
 
Oh, I almost forgot...

Remember in King's Quest where you have to guess the name "Rumplestiltskin", except they used some crazy letter substitution code for each letter?

P.S. While on the topic of old video games, at B.F. in computer class when we were finished with work early we were allowed to play Agent U.S.A., where you had to get the diamonds and not get touched by any of the black hat guys.

"Those were the days..."
 
best regards, nice info »
 
Post a Comment

<< Home