Thursday, July 28, 2005

All At Once, Just At That Moment, Right Then

Here's a random thought. I have been using the idiom "all of a sudden" for as long as i can remember. Recently I've heard people say "all of THE sudden" instead of the "A sudden", which is how I thought it was. Obviously this is a dissonance that I cannot tolerate, so I did some research.

Aparently I am right. The proper usage is "all of a sudden", though there doesn't seem to be any particular grammatical reason for it, just that that's how the idiom goes.

So this time I was right, but I have been wrong in the past about idioms. For the longest time I thought that something was done "for all intensive purposes", and even used the term in a college philosophy paper. Only at that point when the phrase was met with a resounding x mark in red pen was I made aware that something is done "for all intents and purposes" instead.

Comments:
I had a dumb friend in college who wanted to go into journalism and get a "Pullet Surprise."

We'd all better be careful not to throw "cosh into the wind" either.
 
an old girlfriend of mine, yocasta, used to say 'supposeBly' instead of 'supposedly'. it drove me nuts.
 
Next time, you should tell her to be more pacific. You know how I'm sayin'?
 
Best regards from NY! » »
 
Post a Comment

<< Home