Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Things I Get Addicted To

I use addiction in the loosest possible sense here. At various stages in my life I tend to get fixated on a certain drink that I have to have. For some reason I only get fixated on drinks and other foods or anything.

My freshman year in college I was addicted to Sprite. I drank more Sprite in that year than really should be legal.

My junior year I had an early class every day and I would get a hot chocolate to bring before those early classes. The thing is that to make the perfect hot chocolate you really need to use two of those pouches of powder, especially if you want a large size. They let you make them yourselves and so I did that for a while. Then one day towards the end of the semester the lady one day charged me for two hot chocolates since she said I used two packages every day and despite the flawless logic I laid before her dealing the the relative water to powder ratio in a small versus a large hot chocolate, she wouldn't budge. That meant I had to go to the other cafeteria to make my hot chocolate before going to class which was at least 45 seconds and a staircase out of my way. Dirty bitch.

In my senior year I was addicted to Snapple Iced Tea. I would buy one before every single class I went to. That's enormously unhealthy. Tons of sugar in Snapple iced tea, but in this case I really felt as if I had to have one every few hours. One day near graduation I had to just stop drinking them entirely for a while. It was easier after I graduated and had to pay real money for them instead of just campus credit. Snapple is way overpriced, in my opinion.

I've gone back to Sprite a couple times since I graduated college, but my new obession was last year when I bought an Arizona Iced Tea every day during lunch. Those things also have tons of sugar, but I really have a thing for iced tea. Also you get 23.5 ounces for $1.00. It's certainly not too expensive just unhealthy. I would take about half a day to drink a whole can of it, so in my afternoon classes my students would make fun of me for drinking it every day. A couple of them even bought me some for Christmas.

Just recently I've gone back to a hot chocolate obsession. I've been buying one from the Dunkin' Donuts every day after work recently. I've also been drinking too much voffee in the mornings over the last year or so. This past summer I decided to quit coffee since I didn't have to wake up early just to see if I felt any better. I didn't have any coffee from July through about half of August, so it worked out pretty well, but now I have it every morning again. Too much sugar in that, too. Especially the way I make it.

I guess my vices are better than being addicted to vodka or something. Also I can be honest when I say I can stop at any time.

Comments:
Interesting, Chuck.

Before I moved, I was tutoring after school three days a week or so, driving to kids' houses or to the library in town where I taught. I got into the habit of drinking coffee, not only in the morning, but between tutoring sessions. I mean, I would stop and get an extra-large after school and bring it with me. By the end of last school year, I was getting headaches almost constantly. I attributed it to different things for a while, until I finally realized that it was because of all the caffeine that I was taking in. After switching to decaf and eventually stopping the non-morning coffee, my headaches stopped almost instantly.

Hot chocolate is dope. I don't have it anywhere nearly often enough. Thanks for the reminder - that should become my new drink of choice this winter.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home