Sunday, November 27, 2005

Getting My Coach On

So this year I'm really getting involved in doing stuff at school in the extracurricular sense. Last year me and my buddy Wallace coached the JV baseball team at our school. Wallace was the official head coach and I was an assistant. This year Wallace also became the head coach of the JV basketball team and he asked me to help him out again. So this year I'm the assistant coach for both JV basketball and JV baseball. Tons of fun.

We had the tryouts for basketball this past week at school. We expected about 25 people to try out for the 13-15 spots on the team and instead 41 freshman and sophomores showed up to try out for the team. We were a little overwhelmed on that first day. So much so that we had a second day of tryouts the next day where 20 people came back and we ended up keeping 14 of them.

The brand of basketball these kids play is certainly not team oriented and both Wallace and I plan to put a team oriented team on the floor. Wallace has been the assistant varsity coach for three years now, so he has taken the lead in implementing the schemes and I've tried to supplement what he's been doing.

Baseball is sortof the opposite. He was the head coach and took care of all the details as far as getting field permits and scheduling games, but it's fair to say that I was more instrumental in the teaching of fundamentals and strategies for that team last year.

Anyway, coaching is a lot of fun. Basketball is shaping up to be a little more ghetto than baseball, but I think we certainly have talent. I'd love to see a team oriented version of the guys we have when our first game comes up in a month or so.

Comments:
You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » » »
 
This is very interesting site... » »
 
Post a Comment

<< Home