Wednesday, September 13, 2006

No Static. Got An Automatic. Too Much Of Anything Makes You An Addict.

I started with one thought, but now I have two since I wrote the post title. First things first (...I, poppa, freaks all the honeys, dummies, playboy bunnies, those wanting money) the title of this post comes from the Nice N Smooth song, "Sometimes I Rhyme Slow". This is a great song because of the really inventive sample of the Tracy Chapman song "Fast Car". Aside from the sample, though, the song is really nonsensical. First of all, Greg Nice rhymes about absolutely nothing that has anything to do with anything. And on top of that he uses some of the same lines as he does in the only other song people know by them, "Hip Hop Junkies". Incidentally, the only reason that song is good is also because of the clever sample, this time of the Partridge Family hit "I Think I Love You". So the first verse of, "Sometimes I Rhyme Slow" is really just an exercise in coming up with lines that rhyme. Also worth mentioning from that verse is that at one point he says, "I go to Bay Plaza to catch a flick", and the Bay Plaza movie theater is right near my house. And it doesn't seem like a neighborhood where rappers come from, but I might be wrong. Anyhow, the second verse by, ahhh, I guess Smooth. Is it CL Smooth? I thought it was Pete Rock and CL Smooth, not the same guy from Nice N Smooth. I'll have to check. Anyway, after the nonsensical first verse, the second verse is all about how this guy's girlfriend is a drug addict. It has a moderately serious tone and he talks about putting her into rehab and then, "at 18 months she comes home and I let her back in...and now she's sniffing again." It doesn't match the first verse at all. It's really weird. Also that's the end of the song. Only two verses.

Anyway, that's not even why I started writing this post. I wanted to talk about McDonald's. Something I really need to do is quit McDonald's. I don't even eat it that much anymore. I generally go about once a month, but even that is just no good for me. Also you may think that once a month is way too much to go to McDonald's, but that's a different discussion. My point is that I know I should quit, but I don't know if I can. I mean, I'm capable of saying to myself, "No, I shouldn't eat McDonald's today", and in fact I do it a lot. But I don't think I can just quit altogether. The prospect of never eating McDonald's again makes me sad. I don't feel the same way about other restaurants.

This feeling is what led to My McDonald's sign of a couple weeks back.


I'm not addicted to McDonald's in the sense that I need it to get through the day, but I do have a strong psychological attachment to it. And I don't think I could just write it off altogether.

Comments:
Isn't that part of the psychology of fast food chains, in general? That is, because they have a particular taste and it tastes the same no matter which McDonalds you go to, it becomes something you psychologically crave every so often?

I wonder what the first fast food chain was.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home