Friday, August 11, 2006

The Difference Between Ghetto Kids And Suburban Kids

I had an epiphany yesterday. It struck me all at once that I would never see any of my students, not ghetto kids in a pejorative sense, but kids who all fit pretty neatly into the "urban youth" category, in this scenario that I witnessed yesterday.

I was in Starbucks in Englewood, NJ on my way back home. There were three kids who were probably like 17 years old in front of me and all were dressed like what you would imagine a thug would dress like. Baggy shorts, wife beaters and enormous tee shirts, non-blue Yankees hats askew on their heads. Then it was their turn on line.

Kid #1: "Lemme get a venti chai latte." (I think that's what he ordered.)
Kid #2: "Could I get a venti cinnamon mocchiato?"
Kid #3: "I'm not really sure what I want."
#2: "Do you want something hot or cold?"
#3: "Something hot...ahh, ok, lemme have a caramel light frappucino."
#2: "Yo, son, frappucino is cold. You want a macchiato. Macchiato is warm."
#3: "Oh, my bad. Venti caramel light macchiato."

I think the whole situation relative to what was expected and what actually transpired is pretty funny, but what really got me on the way home was that the kid ordered not a caramel macchiato, but a caramel *light* macchiato.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home