Thursday, August 19, 2004

The Google IPO.

I don't know a whole lot about stock trading and what not, aside from buy low and sell high, but the biggest news to come out of the market in a while is today's Google IPO. It opened at around $85 this morning and peaked at about $105 at some point in the day.

I'm pretty surprised that Google has remained a private company for so long. There was a lot of pressure both from their shareholders and from the investing public for them to hit the market and they held out for pretty much as long as they could.

Google seems to be one of the best run internet companies out there. I've worked for a few of them and none of those were spectacularly well run. I don't believe that clowns didn't see that internet bubble bursting, but I guess they didn't. Oh well, the internet companies that remain are the ones that at least seem to be doing it right. Among them are Google, Yahoo, Amazon, AOL (to a certain extent), and eBay. I'll bet there are more that don't immediately come to mind as well.

I do miss that Pets.com sock puppet, though.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home