Monday, May 23, 2005

Guilty Pleasure or Genuinely Great?

Today I threw Oasis's album, What's the Story Morning Glory, into my CD player. I was in the mood for some catchy rock and I listened to that album a lot when it came out because I enjoyed every song.

I think this isn't a light pop/rock album, I think this is a great rock and roll album. It's really phenomenal. Every song is good and a lot of them are great. Every one is catchy and there's a good deal of musicality involved.

There is a huge and obvious Beatles influence to Oasis and Noel Gallagher, the guy who wrote their songs (or was it Liam who wrote the songs? I think Noel.), readily affirms that he sometimes steals directly from the Beatles for a bar or two. The thing is that this one album is not simply derivative of the Beatles, but it attempts to take the music a step further, or at least in a different direction. It's not better than the Beatles, to be sure, but it is a very well done homage.

If you would have asked me before today about that album I would have said that it's probably pretty corny, but I do enjoy it. I think now that I underestimated it. It's a really great album, and was sortof underrated at the time it was current. It was successful, but in a pop vein, rather than real rock and roll.

Oddly, I don't have any other Oasis albums. I saw a video for their next album and didn't especially like the song, so I didn't get the record, even though I really enjoyed the one I had. I think they have something like 3 or maybe even 4 albums out there. I'll have to pick one or some of them up.

Comments:
WTSMG is the best Oasis album. You're right, every song is good, and some are great. "She's Electric" is (to me) the most reminiscent of a Beatle-esque type number (It reminds me of "Lovely Rita")

I heard the new single on the radio and I thought it kinda blew.

I'll be saving me pennies for something...better:)
 
Get Definitely Maybe and The Masterplan;

Definitely Maybe is their debut which doesn't sound that much like Morning Glory. Oh, it's got a similar formula, but the production is quite different and rather than a crossover pop/rock-record which Morning Glory is, Definitely Maybe is a really heavy, loud, garage-rock album. Some fantastic songs - Slide Away, Live Forever, Cigarettes & Alcohol, Supersonic. It's fantastic.

Also get The Masterplan, which is the group's b-sides compilation. They threw an awful lot of their best songs onto their b-sides, which is a shame in some ways. But The Masterplan collects many of their best b-sides from their best period ('94 through '97) and song-for-song is better than Morning Glory.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home