Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Lacrosse is a Pretty Cool Game

I was watching the NCAA championship lacrosse game yesterday on ESPN. Also last weekend I was at a local high school for a JV baseball game and after the game I stayed and watched some of their high school lacrosse game. I must say that lacrosse is pretty fun to watch.

It seems like lacrosse is a cross between hockey, basketball, and even football to a lesser extent. The sport is basically hockey without the ice. There are shift changes and some sort of off sides rule and penalty boxes and such. The fact that you're running around, though, instead of skating makes it also a lot like basketball. The setup looks like a basketball team running a motion offense and a zone defense. The difference, obviously, is that you can't just pull up in lacrosse and shoot the equivalent of a jump shot because there is a goalie. You gotta really whip it by them.

Lacrosse is a pretty entertaining game. Maybe college lacrosse should be more popular. I have just never seen lacrosse played anywhere. My high school didn't have lacrosse and I guess my college did, but we weren't really known for sports. Lacrosse is played mainly by rich schools. I know they played lacrosse in like the Ridgewoods and Don Boscos of northern New Jersey. The high school I was at last week is just a public high school in Queens, but it's known as one of the better ones. Also they were playing against Fieldston, which is a rich as prep school. I wonder if there are any other public schools in New York that have lacrosse teams. Maybe a Stuyvesant or Bronx Science.

Bottom line is that lacrosse is pretty cool and I had no idea it was so entertaining.

Comments:
I went to Science and I don't think we had lacrosse. I never even heard of it until I went to college. Anyway, science didn't have a football team either. Volleyball, handball, and track were very popular though.
 
Enjoyed a lot! » » »
 
Post a Comment

<< Home