Thursday, July 28, 2005

So We Can Put a Man on the Moon, but We Can't Put a Man on the Moon?

NASA dodged a bullet, almost literally, with the recent launch of the space shuttle Discovery. Another piece of insulating foam came off of the rocket when it launched. I say another because it was a piece of foam that came off the Columbia on re-entry that made it explode.

They are pretty sure that the Discovery was not damaged and should be ok to come back to Earth, so here's to hoping. After this, though, they are suspending any further flights until they are sure they have solved the shooting foam issue.

I'm wondering if NASA is becoming more or less relevant to society today. I suppose most would say that NASA is as relevant as ever, though I think you could make a pretty good argument that it's losing viability as a completely government funded program and that perhaps it should move into the private sector.

I think NASA's relevance is probably a lot more behind the scenes than the shuttle launches and such. I'd bet they serve a huge function to the government and society through their less ostentatious research done from Earth. I figure they had a hand in developing the computer, the internet, communication systems, and all sorts of other technologies, not to mention the contribution I'm guessing they have made to the Dept. of Defense.

Incidentally, there's an inherent irony in calling it the Dept. of Defense. A bit of 1984 doublespeak there.

I didn't really do any research into what NASA actually does so I can't really support my post, but I would assume NASA's most important work is done behind the scenes, and its relevance and contribution to society is probably a lot more evident than it would seem.

Comments:
We were discussing NASA the other day and I came up with a thought. Keep in mind that I've always leaned towards loving the space program, went to Space Camp, and wanted to be an astronaut for the LONGEST time.

I'd rather see the billions of Govt funded dollars that NASA spends go to feeding/clothing/housing the underpriveledged of this country.

I'd like to see the space program run by the corporate sector. If they want to see the effects of space on a drug that "cures" something, let the drug company support the mission. There would be more competition amongst companies for better rockets, methods, etc, and really, they can hire their own "experts" scientists, ex-military pilots, etc.
Usually, I'm NOT for corporate takeover of anything...but in this case, it might really save taxpayer dollars, or at least divert them to where there needed most - On earth.
 
That's really well put. That's sortof what I was thinking without stating it nearly as well.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home