Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Anyone a Vonnegut Fan?

I've read a few books by Kurt Vonnegut and I don't understand why he is so critically acclaimed. Can anyone offer a reason? Also could someone explain to me why he's considered a satirist? When I read literature I feel like I generally get it. I love to read. I'm relatively smart. I don't get Vonnegut. I don't particularly enjoy his books. I don't see why people consider him to be great.

I've read "Slughterhouse Five" and "Galapagos" and "Cat's Cradle" and "The Sirens of Titan". Many of his Amazon reviews say that the easy reading style is deceptive because it hides the deeper meaning. Maybe I'm stuck between the apparently lazy style and the deep stuff. I just feel like his style is not only lazy, but abitrary just for the sake of being apparently deep. Like he's tricking people into thinking he's got a message. If you're reading and you don't really get it, then it must be deep.

Someone help me out here.

UPDATE: Since there are no comments for this post, I'm assuming that no one else out there gets Vonnegut either. You know what Chris Rock says, "If only smart people like your shit, it ain't that smart".

Comments:
I've never read any of his longer books.

However, the one thing I have read by Vonnegut, Harrison Bergeron, was very good in my opinion.

Slaughterhouse Five has been on my proverbial "to read" list for at least 5 years or so.
 
This is very interesting site... »
 
Post a Comment

<< Home