Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The best basketball player ever.

I was intrigued by a post on Daffy's site about the best PG in the league and I got to thinking about the best player ever in the NBA.

The guys who are most talked about are obviously Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain, and Oscar Robertson. I think in recent days there's a consensus that MJ was the best player ever. He was possibly the most talented player and there's no doubt that he worked as hard or harder than all other players to play at the level he did. I can't really comment on Wilt or Oscar, except to say that their numbers were phenomenal.

Wilt was so physically different than everyone else in the league at the time, that he couldn't help but dominate. I don't know that he was the most talented, he was just the biggest, strongest guy by far. I get the feeling without knowing for sure that he had a bigger advantage over the league at the time than even Shaq does now, or even at the height of Shaq's physical ability.

I think I want to make a case that Magic Johnson was the best player ever. Magic was 6'9" and played PG better than most guys in the league at the time. In his rookie year when Kareem got hurt, instead of starting at PG, he started at center and dominated the game in the NBA finals. He played a position he hadn't played at least all season, and probably not in college either, and dominated the game.

When Magic came back out of retirement after the HIV thing, he played at PF for the Lakers. He was out of shape and old and he still played very well. He didn't dominate the league, but he was a good PF.

From the time he entered the league until the time he first retired, Magic was capable of playing literally any position at an all-star level. He played PG because he knew the game on an instinctive level better than anyone else on the floor. He had the best vision, and the best feel for the offense and the defense. He did things that no one even thought of, like throwing the ball to the opposite side of the court where no one was so the time would run out.

Magic could have played PF next to Kareem and scored 40 points a night if he wanted to. He could have stood at the perimeter and shot 3s if he wanted to. He could have slashed through the lane and scored like Marbury or Iverson do today. He could have done all of those things, but he knew exactly what he needed to do for his team to win, and that's what he did.

Obviously we think of Magic as one of the best players ever, but he's never talked about as THE best. I think it's because Magic is always linked with Larry Bird, who was similarly great, but not as physically talented as Magic. If they didn't have that natural connection, then I think people would think of Magic in the same breath as MJ and the like.

When people talk about the best PGs ever, also they don't talk about Magic right away. The best pure PGs I know of were Isiah Thomas, John Stockton, Jason Kidd, and possibly Gary Payton but only for a year or two. Magic played on a level that was way above what these guys could even think of doing. Isiah was the only one of these guys who could score at will and take over a game, but Isiah was limited by his height.

I think Magic is my choice for best player ever. You could make an argument for Michael Jordan that is equally convincing, so I don't think there is a resolution if you happen to disagree. I just think that Magic was undoubtedly the most versatile player to ever play, possibly the most talented player to ever play, and also possibly had a feel for the game better than any player to ever play.

Jordan was definitely unstoppable when he made his mind up, but again I think he was limited by his size, whereas Magic could do anything he wanted to do on the court, so that made him that much more dangerous.

If you were starting a team to play for several seasons and you could pick guys who would always be in their prime, who would you choose? I think it comes down to two guys, Magic and Michael. I would personally choose Magic, though it's really a can't lose type of pick. Wilt could be evenly matched in today's league by Shaq or Olajuwan or Ewing (not today's league, but you know what I mean) or maybe even Duncan.

Anyway, I've thought it through and Magic is my man. Clearly some will disagree, but I'm interested in everyone's thoughts. Maybe I'll do a separate post about the best guys at each position.

Comments:
Well, I think my dad thinks that Oscar was the best *for his time*. I mean, the gie did average a triple double one year. If memory serves, though, he only won two titles.

In any case, though, you asked for feedback: I don't know how Jordan can't be considered the best player ever. He won 6 titles, to Magic's 5. Magic did do all the things you mentioned, true, but he had an incredible team around him. It's easy to set up your teammates, etc... when you're playing around a group of all-stars. I think other than Pippen, Jordan took a group of, at best, mediocre players and made them into a championship team over the course of his career.

Magic didn't play much defense. You wouldn't use the word "intimidating" when thinking of Magic, whereas Jordan was such a presence.

Anyway, I vote Jordan #1. After him, maybe Magic #2. Magic, though, is probably the best point guard in history, better than Stockton.
 
Why are there no responses to my comment?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home