Monday, June 06, 2005

Thinking About Interesting Sounds.

A somewhat arbitrary thought.

I'm sitting right now next to an open window during rain storm. I think one of my favorite sounds in the world is the sound of the rain falling. Especially at night. Especially in the summer. Also the thunder going off during the rain storm every so often. I find it to be enormously relaxing, and a somewhat necessarily introspective moment.

If you add to that the wind coming through the window and the occasional droplet of water, then that is one of the more sublime moments in life. When I was growing up my bed was right up against the window and I would often leave my window open during the rain in the summer because I found the sound and the occasional raindrop on my face to be pleasurable. I think that's what I equate this similar experience to.

Another of my favorite sounds is a train approaching from a distance. That includes the rumble of the tracks and the whistle of the train from a distance. I also equate this with being in bed when I was young. I lived up the street from the train tracks, far enough so that the sound wasn't annoying, but close enough to hear it as it went by. The tracks near my house were for a freight train, so it went by at all hours of the night. The late night or early morning trains would relax me as they went by if I happened to be up.

More than anything, these are the two scenarios that probably relax me most and both of them I equate with being in bed as a child. I don't live near train tracks any more, so I don't really get that at all any more. The nighttime spring or summer rainfall makes me happy, though.

Comments:
Very nice site! »
 
Enjoyed a lot! »
 
Post a Comment

<< Home