Thursday, July 07, 2005

Answers to Daffy's Questions

How far along in your career as a teacher did you have that moment? Where you stopped and said to yourself: "this is where I belong."?
I enjoyed it from the beginning. I think after the first year was done and I got some time off to reflect and not feel like I was a brand new teacher any more, I realized that I was a capable teacher. I don't know if it was one moment, but over that summer definitely.

When you get dressed and put on your sneakers, do you usually put the right shoe on first? the left? or the both get equal treatment?
I always put on the left shoe first. I don't know why. If I happen to pick up the right shoe, I'll put it down and pick up the left one.

Will you now be self-conscious about which shoe goes on first for the next few weeks?
I was conscious of it before you asked.

If you were given 2 plane tickets to anywhere in the world, where would you go, and why?
I assume I can go to one place and take someone with me, rather than use both tickets myself to go to two places. I would go skiing in Utah. I haven't been skiing in years and I'm dying to go. I'm going to make it a goal of mine to go skiing this winter.

Do you think it's a good plan, to have the Nets move to Brooklyn?
It sucks for New Jersey, but they don't put any fans in the seats. I don't know of it's possible to have a suburban sports team, and the Nets are evidence of that. The Devils too, to a certain extent. I can't think of any other professional teams that represent suburbs by name. Plenty of teams play outside of the city they represent (the Patriots, Lions, Angels, and even the Giants and Jets who play across the street from the Nets, but they draw from the whole metropolis and surrounding suburbs. The Nets and Devils can't really draw people from New York and in addition they lose fans to New York. Also the arena is in the middle of nowhere.

I used to work about a mile from where they are proposing the new arena and it would fit perfectly into that neighborhood. It's essentially downtown Brooklyn and it's right next to about 12 different subway lines. They would definitely put fans in the seats and I don't think they would take away from the Knicks fan base. It would be a great thing for Brooklyn and it would make the franchise legitimate, which they are not at the moment despite their recent success. I have been to three Nets games in my life despite living 15 minutes from the arena. If they move to Brooklyn I will definitely go to more games.

There are some loyal Nets fans, but not enough to support the franchise in New Jersey. People in Brooklyn are fanatic about representing their borough and they will adopt the Nets immediately.

Comments:
Do you think the shoe thing has anything to do with you being left-handed?

Yes - the two tickets would be for
you and Kathy.
 
I don't really know where the shoe thing comes from. I would guess it has something to do with being left handed and my right foot being my plant foot. I'm just more comfortable standing on my right foot than my left. I don't feel terribly sturdy on my left foot until I have my shoe on.

Even if I'm sitting down, though, I'll put the left shoe on first.

Also somewhat interesting is that I almost always put on my right sock first, rather than the left. Probably 90% of the time I do that.
 
Interesting. I'm rare in that (when I played soccer) I am "left-footed", but I am right-handed.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home