Friday, July 01, 2005

This CSS Thing is Worth Looking Into.

Since my blog got itself broken I had to change the template. I wasn't enormously happy with the existing template, though, so I did some fine tuning to it. All that was really involved was messing around with the style sheet and when you do that it makes universal changes to the site. The whole idea is really intuitive. It seems like if you have a firm grasp of HTML, then basic CSS is just an evolution of that concept. I guess it gets more and more hard core based on what you want to do, but to make a simple page that looks like tables, but is more advanced, it seems like CSS is the way to go.

I realize that this post would have been more relevant three or four years ago, but I never really bothered to mess with CSS beyond the very beginner stuff because I didn't really use it for anything. Maybe I'll use some of my summer to get into it and redesign my web page.

If I do, then I'll only have to write one style sheet for the whole site. It would take the place of the SSI that I use now. SSI is a server side include that allows you to pull whole pieces of HTML into the page from a remote file so that you don't have to write it or cut and paste it into every page. If you don't know what it is, then you're probably not interested, and if you do know what it is, then you almost undoubtedly know more than I do.

Well, that was my Joe Grossberg technical post of the month. And it's only the first.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home