Saturday, August 20, 2005

My Guilty Pleasure Movie

I would assume that there are some things we all like in spite of ourselves. Lots of movies are "chick flicks" and I generally don't really enjoy them. There are some exceptions that are genuinely good movies like "When Harry Met Sally" and "Beaches" and probably some others, but for the most part most guys don't like most chick flicks and that generalization applies to me.

There is one exception, however. I really enjoy "Fools Rush In" starring Matthew Perry and Salma Hayek. This is a movie that was not even a successful chick flick, nor was it especially well reviewed. I don't really know anyone else who likes this movie, but I must admit that I like it very much.

In case you're in the majority of people who probably don't even remember the movie the basic plot is that Matthew Perry is a WASPy architect from New York who's building some building in Las Vegas and has a one night stand with Salma Hayek. (Let's be honest, that's enough plot right there.) Anyway, she gets pregnant and they decide to get married now and figure out how to make it work later. Obviously they have trouble making it work right away and get in what seems to be an irreconcilable rift, only to realize they love each other right before the baby is born (literally seconds before; on the Hoover Dam, no less).

The plot is see through, each scene is pretty contrived, the satellite characters are one dimensional, yet still I enjoy this film. I think I like this movie so much because of the two leads. I find Matthew Perry to be funny and I'm secretly in love with Salma Hayek, and since most of the scenes revolve around those two I enjoy watching it. The two of them bring some sort of authenticity to the movie for me. Also one of my favorite New York institutions, Gray's Papaya, home of the $0.75 hot dog (formerly $0.50), is featured prominently in the film.

Anyone else like this movie, or ever even seen it? Anyone else have a guilty pleasure movie? Anyone ever seen the movie "Crazy/Beautiful", because I sortof liked that one too, though I've only seen it once.

Comments:
I've watched it on HBO, I kind of enjoyed it too.
I'm pretty neutral on Perry but I think Salma Hayek is the hottest Hollywood actress.
 
When I saw that movie I developed a mild crush on Salma (which went away around the time of "Dogma" and "Frida"). I remember a scene where she's dancing in the kitchen or something and Matthew Perry's in awe of her watching her dance. Salma (as she usually does) had some awkward moments I felt. And I remember being annoyed going "that's so unrealistic, she would never fall for him" and realizing that at the time it was probably jealousy.

But anyway, my guilty pleasure movie is "Dirty Dancing". I especially like the lead-up to the love scene. That officially makes me homosexual, and that's fine.
 
I love this movie, and really enjoy that it's on TV all the time - I actually own it as well. I think the appeal lies somewhere in the fact that these two are such an unlikely couple, and really never should have found each other in the first place. It's not a cheesy romantic comedy, it's more legit (especially when they end up spending months apart and he realizes he misses her) - I think it's more relatable for the audience - plus it kind of highlights that most relationships are work, not just a fairy tale. I love Matthew Perry in it - he's just so clueless. PS - is anyone else pumped I'm "blogging"? :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home