Sunday, September 04, 2005

Hurricane Katrina Hates Black People

Something like 66% of the population of New Orleans is black. Of those, something like 35-45% of that population is below the poverty level. On top of that in what was probably an unintentional intentional coincidence, the ghettos of New Orleans were built in the lowest part of the city that was already built below sea level. I find it enormously interesting that virtually every person who's still in New Orleans is poor and black. I don't know if I can expound on this point with any useful candor, but a simple statement of the facts seems to be telling.

As for the looters, I can sympathize with some and I am dumbfounded by others. If I were in a similar situation I wouldn't think twice about looting things like water or canned goods or other similar such supplies. I can even understand why one would choose to take something like a gun or weapon if he feels like he needs to defend himself in what is quickly devolving into anarchy. I don't think I would end up with a gun in my hand, but I can see why one might. The fucking clowns who are stealing TV's and stereos somehow fail to see the dire situation they are in. Where are they keeping the TV? When they are rescued at some point, are they going to bring the TV with them? Are you really thinking about material comforts when the city you live in is underneath 30 feet of water?

The response by the local and federal authorities is by all accounts lacking at this point. The issue seems to be that the levees in New Orleans didn't immediately break. The hurricane passed on Monday and the levees broke through either late Monday or early Tuesday. It seems like people breathed a sigh of relief when the hurricane passed and then had to rush to action after the levees didn't hold. I hope they can get their acts together to help these people soon.

The governor of Mississippi was on Meet the Press this morning saying that the response in his state was beyond adequate and he praised everyone working on the relief efforts. Just a moment before was a touching moment from a local Louisiana official who was lamenting the lack of aid and preparedness as he recounted the loss of the mother of one of his workers due to the lack of response time.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home