Thursday, March 23, 2006

The End Of ChuckJerry.com?

Most of you who read this know that before the blog I started this website about myself and other random things when I was in college. I started it back then for two reasons. First was that I was allotted a ton of free server space and figured I'd take advantage of that rather than let it go to waste. Second was that I wanted to learn how to write web pages. At that time in 1997 if you knew HTML, then you were more or less on par with just about everyone else who was making webpages. I figured if I learned HTML then it would come in handy at some point in the future. It turned out I was right because simply knowing HTML got me two jobs.

So the first incarnation of the web page would be roundly ridiculed today but was actually in line with the web pages out there at the time. It was gif heavy, and had hallucinogenic backgrounds on every page and was built with a frameset. Through the years I think I completely redesigned the site 4 or 5 times but the content never really changed much.

It started with my autobiography and descriptions of my friends and the great stories section of the page. Those were there for my friends and just because I liked to spend time writing HTML instead of boing other shit I was supposed to be doing. Eventually I added the rants page and the deep thoughts page and that was more or less the entirety of the site's content. It was a fun thing to show people and when I used to have real jobs it was fun to show people the site and it would start discussions and was actually one of the reasons that I got one of the jobs I had for a while. People I knew were failry interested in the site and it was a worhtwhile venture for a while.

The rants seem to be by far the most popular part of the site with the outside world, but also the page that brings in the weird people. The problem I have with the site is that I get ridiculous comments from people who don't read the site carefully and therefore don't realize that I didn't actually write most of the content on the rants and thoughts pages. Most of the people who actually take the time to comment or email me just say something that's enormously inappropriate. It got to the point where I slowly removed all the personal content from the site. I took off the pictures and the pages about my friends. I turned off the email link because I only got rude emails and eventually just like 150 spam emails a day. Recently I haven't even updated the site but thought about removing the autobiography part and really anything personal about it.

At this point I haven't changed a thing about the site since August of 2004. It's clearly not a priority anymore and I'm no longer especially interested in the responses I get from the rants and thoughts pages. I used to take a lot of time to post all the rants and things I recieved, but now I just don't care. So rather than continue to remove all the personal content, I think I'm just going to take the whole site down. It's not serving any purpose any more and I think I have other plans for the domain name in the near future. Peace out ChuckJerry.com. It's been real.

UPDATE: I decided to delete the whole site except the Great Stories.

Comments:
R.I.P.
 
I guess there's no way to infuse or incorporate the Great Stories page on a blog... too bad.
 
Man...
....now I'm bummed.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home