Saturday, February 18, 2006

Darko Will See The Light

Far be it for me to begrudge the Detroit Pistons of thier recent successes. They are clearly the best team in the league right now and are the favorite to win the championship this year, in my opinion. (I know Max is picking the Spurs.) This Darko Milicic thing is going to come back at them, though.

I understand that there was not a place for a 19 year old soft European on the championship ready Pistons and I understand why he didn't play. I understand that they had no need for Carmelo Anthony when they had Rip Hamilton. I guess you could make some kind of argument for drafting Darko over Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh among others that year, but now they're throwing that pick in the garbage. They traded him and Carlos Arroyo for Kelvin Cato, an average center at best.

I think this may go down as one of the worst trades in the history of the league. It's going to be up there with Robert Traylor for Dirk Nowitzki. I'm not saying Darko is Dirk, but Kelvin Cato is not even on par with Robert Traylor. Darko Milicic *will* be an impact player in the league. He is 21 years old and is 7 feet tall and has been playing professional basketball since he was 15. Make no mistake about it, Darko will be more than just an infamous draft pick. He is no Sam Bowie or Frederic Weis.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home