Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Is Anyone Else One Soriano's Side?

First of all, this is coming from the guy who agreed with Terrell Owens when he threatened to hold out this previous football season, so I guess you should take this with a grain of salt. I don't think Alfonso Soriano should be blamed right now for his refusal to switch positions. All of the blame, absolutely all of it, should be placed on the management of the Nationals.

When they acquired him they knew of his history of not wanting to switch positions. The Rangers made it a contingency to the trade that they not contact Soriano to ask him if he'd be willing to switch positions, because they knew he'd say no. The Nationals should have seen this coming before they even made the deal.

Soriano's perspective is that he had a hard time adjusting when he was switched from shortstop to second base so as not to displace Derek Jeter. He made a lot of errors and wan't particularly comfortable for a while at that position. Now that he's gotten as good as he's going to get at second base they want to move him again. I don't think I would refuse to play, in fact when I was in high school I was moved from first base to outfield for the good of the whole team, and I wasn't paid $10 million to do it, but I at least understand his perspective. On top of all that, it has been really well known that Soriano was going to essentially refuse to switch positions.

If this pans out badly then the one who gets screwed is Soriano. In a worst case scenario he's placed on something called the "disqualified list" and not only does he not get paid, but he doesn't accrue time in the pension system and he doesn't get to be a free agent even though he only has a one year contract. But the Nationals are really the ones who are at fault for putting him in that position. One thing I know for sure is that I'd never pick a fight with Frank Robinson if I could help it, but I guess that's kindof beside the point.

Comments:
They all suck. You’re absolutely right that the Nationals are idiots. How could they not see it coming? I really have no idea what their thought process was. I remember when he went to Texas that there was talk about moving him to the outfield. He put up a hissy-fit and luckily their second baseman volunteered to move to short. This isn’t anything from out of the blue. Morons.

I do think that Soriano sucks more though. He gets millions of dollars to play baseball. If the team decides you help the team the most by becoming the bullpen catcher, you do it. I don’t want to hear you bitch and moan. You’re still making millions and living a better life then the vast majority of the population.

Soriano might have a point that it’s difficult to switch positions for a second time. But I don’t think his fielding is why he’s against this switch. Second-base is traditionally one of the weaker offensive positions. Soriano is going to give you around 35 HRs and 90+ RBIs. At second-base, this is a lock for an All-Star spot. I’m sure he has a bonus in his contract for All-Star appearances. Plus, All-Stars are able demand a higher price on the free agent market. If he moves to LF, now he’s in a category that includes Bonds, Berkman, Alou, and Cliff Floyd (there you go Met fans). Plus, since All-Star voting lumps all outfielders in the same category, he’s also competing against Edmonds, Beltran, Andruw Jones, Abreu, and Carlos Lee. At second-base, he’s an elite All-Star. In the outfield, he’s a little above an average player.

Chuckles – Between this and the Personality Test webpage, you’ve killed a good part of my day. Thanks buddy!
Guess I’ll go back to work now
 
Dude, you're a math teacher and you have that hate stuff up on the web? That's scary. Do you teach children?

Also: I have news for you. This might come as a total shock but... You're not white.
 
Ahh, Flanky...., ahhh... I think you didn't read the site carefully enough. Also I think you're taking full advantage of your internet anonymity.
 
Flanky is obviously part of the Super Adventure Club.

But I guess the Nats did have the upperhand as he gave in and played left yesterday. Pay him $10 mil to play even if he hates it, or he has no income since they weren't going to trade him. There was an interesting stat on ESPN though showing defensively Soriano sucks as a 2B compared to the rest of the league, so moving him to left could help him.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home