Tuesday, November 14, 2006

We Know All The Words To All The Songs

I realized recently that there are very few rap songs that I know every single word to. There are only a few rap songs that I know I know all the words to. And they are pretty random. One is "Passin' Me By" by the Pharcyde and the other is "If Only" by Das EFX. I'm moderately confident I could do "Where I'm From" by Digable Planets as well, but I'm not 100% sure. I feel I could rap any of these songs for you with no music or anything. A fourth is definitely "Nuthin' But A G Thang" by Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre. Also I know all the words to "Around The Way Girl" by LL cool J.

Those last two are classics, but the others are just moderately well known. "Passin' Me By" is an enormously underrated rap song. It should be considered one of the best ever. "If Only" is a really obscure Das EFX song off of their first album. "Where I'm From" is also probably not well known, but should be.

I really don't know if I know all the words to any other songs. I mean, I know 90% of "Scenario", but not every word. And countless other rap songs that I know a good percentage of, but not in their entireties. I would bet this is true of most people and most rap songs. This was just a thought that occurred to me recently. Does anyone else feel like that's the general consensus?

Comments:
The Das EFX songs are quite tough due to their use of made up words, so I'll give you credit from that. I think any song starting off with "1, 2, 3 and to the 4" you already have a headstart on though. No Fushnickens lyrics memorized?
 
Do you mean that it's more probable that people know more of the words to a rap song that they like than say, to a pop or rock song?
 
No, Max, the opposite. I'm saying it's harder to memorize an entire rap song, even if you know the most popular parts or one whole verse or something like that.

A pop or rock song is easier to memorize when you sing along with the melody.
 
Also in rap songs there are invariably two or three lines that are just unintelligable. So you have to make up something that makes no sense, or just hum the cadence until you get back to the part where you know the words.
 
Now there she goes again the dopest Ethiopian
 
You don't know Baby Got Back by heart?! Come on...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home