Monday, September 06, 2004

Back to work time for me.

Unlike you regular schlubs out there, I have been off from work for the summer since I am a teacher. I've spent my summer doing not too much of anything except packing my house and moving. All in all, it was a very good summer.

(When I was seventeen, I drank some really good beer. I drank some really good beer I purchased with a fake ID. My name was Brian McGee. I stayed up listening to Queen. When I was seventeen.)

Tomorrow I'm back to work for a week of workshops and curriculum changes and so forth that basically boils down to trying not to drink so much coffee throughout the day that I start to shake.

I think the four days they give us of workshops will be enough to get back in the swing of having to actually be at work during the day and then next week starts the craziness with the students. I hope I get freshman again. Last year was my first year and I feel I didn't scare them sufficiently at the beginning of the term. This year I'll do it very differently.

Comments:
How are you going to do things differently to sufficiently scare them? What are your secret tactics?
 
I don't know that I have secret tactics. I think I'm just going to try to be meaner for the first month or so, rather than trying to get them to like me. I want to clearly define the rules and enforce them more regularly.

In the first term last year I was too concerned with being prepared with a lesson and not so much with management. This year I'm teaching the same classes so I'm already prepared, in a sense, and I can focus more on management and making the class run smoothly.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home