Friday, March 18, 2005

Here's the thing about being biracial.

I've said before that being biracial generally neither accentuates nor hinders my existence. I think that's true, though there are some exceptions.

There are times when you just have no one to identify with, as is true of all people at some point. When it comes to issues of race, however, there are not many places to turn. It is a situation that even the parents of a biracial child cannot identify with. Ceratinly they can sympathize, but they cannot offer first hand advice. In that respect, being biracial can be moderately confusing.

I don't think I personally ever had a crisis involving my race and deciding who or what I wanted to be, but there is a certain solitude involved in it. In particular since I don't see my sister on a daily basis any more, or many or even any biracial people hanging around in a given day.

Everyone wants to be unique, I think, so I got that going for me.

Don't even get me started on being adopted.

Comments:
Is it possible to try to articulate to somebody mono-racial what some of the issues are that make you feel solitude?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home