Monday, September 12, 2005

Perhaps I'm Prone To Hyperbole

Max was amazed that I said the new Kanye West album was not very good. I said that in the midst of a rant about Kanye being full of himself. Max even went so far as to call me to ask if I was serious.

Let me step back from that statement a bit. The album is good. In fact, it is very good. The issue is that Kanye is not as good a rapper as a lot of the other guys out there. The beats on the album are incredible and the rhymes are not that great. They're good, but not great.

Perfect example. The best moment of the album is on the song "Diamonds From Sierra Leone" when Jay-Z jumps in and finishes out the song. It's an epic rhyme over an epic beat. The last track of the song is basically a reprise of the same song, only at the point where Jay-Z jumps in, Kanye keeps rhyming. The song is definitely lacking without Jay-Z on it.

That is my point.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home