Monday, July 17, 2006

Good Running Music

In the summer I try my best to not just sit around and I usually go running in a park near my house 3 or 4 times a week. I don't always meet that goal, but I'm pretty good about it. At first I thought it was kindof stupid, but figured it was the best way to stay in shape. Now I sortof enjoy running, so I guess that's good.

I run with my iPod and I've decided what my favorite running music is. Depending on how I feel on the particular day I'm running I usually run a minimum of 3 miles and generally a maximum of 6. Usually I'm in between 3 and 4 miles and sometimes I just get a whole lot of energy and run 5 or 6.

On the days I run a shorter distance the best music to run to is the "Hot Fuss" album by The Killers. The songs are all filled with lots of energy and give me motivation to keep up my pace. By the end of the album I've run roughly 4 miles which is abour my goal. Another album that I enjoy running to is "Mr. A-Z" by Jason Mraz. That one is not so up tempo, but good to keep a general pace. This is a good in between distance album because by the end of it you're at about 4.5 miles.

My new favorites are good for the days when I feel like I might run for a while. There's a band called Hot Hot Heat that has two albums called "Elevator" and "Make Up The Breakup". If you run them back to back on the iPod, the two together are good for at least 6 or even 7 miles and every song is filled with energy which is good for running. Also the end of the second album is really good, so it's kindof motivation to keep on going until the album ends.

Anyone else have favorite exercise music? I'm interested to hear some more. Another pretty good one is "Late Registration" by Kanye West. Lots of energy and such, but it gets bogged down a little bit with the skits in between every couple songs.

Today I went out with a lot of energy and just got slammed by the heat. I was ready to go 4 or 5 miles and then every time I would get into the sun I just felt like I wanted to stop. When I hit a shady part, I felt fine. I ended up going only 3 miles, which is kindof lame, but what can you do?

Comments:
I love running to Green Day's "Warning" album. The first 8 songs have a really good pace to them - not too fast, not slow...just right for my pace.

I also like running to old hip-hop.
 
Pearl Jam's "Ten" album has a great flow to it, but I don't know how that would relate to running since I don't think I've ever in my adult life gone for a run.

My $0.02
 
Daffy beat me to the punch. Pearl Jam's "Vs." is just a notch below Ten. Also, "Appetite for Destruction".
 
Post a Comment

<< Home