Friday, July 15, 2005

I'm Gonna Join the Cross Country Team

Yesterday I went jogging again and I did 4.2 miles. The .2 was just the leftover since the track is a .7 mile stretch straight run. I went there and back three times. Given that you don't know what this stretch looks like to say I went there and back is entirely too vague, but I know that you got the idea anyway. I don't know that this is entirely impressive, but I really had no idea I was capable of this feat.

When I was done I was sweating more than a priest in a grade school. I think my shirt weighed about 2 or 3 pounds when I took it off. The worst part about running is right when you stop. When you run for a while your legs go on autopilot and when you start to walk your legs almost want to pick themselves up and down. Also it hurts the most in the 15 seconds between when you switch from running to walking. My legs don't generally hurt while I'm running unless I go way too far for my ability, which I came across when I would treadmill. Also they don't really get too sore afterwards except when you do it for the first or second time.

When I was in high school we used to run a 5 mile course in the basketball preseason (JV Represent!) and that was the last time I did any real running. The first time I went out then I basically walked at least half the course, which was just some streets in Teaneck. We would run on Teaneck Rd. at State St. to Degraw, and then up to Queen Anne, to the high school and back down to Teaneck Rd. and State St. I guess this means nothing if you're not from Teaneck, but the point is that it was 5 miles with a hill halfway through.

That first time it took me a couple hours at least to finish, but eventually I was able to run the entire course and finish in about an hour. Since then, my sophomore year in high school, I would venture to guess that this may be the best shape I've been in. I actually exercise and watch my diet, so I guess that's something.

In the summer between my freshman and sophomore years in college I played basketball at Sagamore Park just about every day after work. That was undoubtedly the skinniest time of my life, but I also went to McDonald's more or less every night after that, so I can't say I was enormously healthy.

If you go the other way on the track at this park by my house, then the course is 2.5 miles, rather than .7, so my goal for the end of the summer is gonna be to complete the 5 mile there and back lap at some point. If I'm feeling saucy I may even go for both tracks and do the whole 6.4 eventually.

I don't know if this is interesting or not, but if I ever accomplish that goal I'm definitely going to blog about it, so look for that.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home