Friday, July 15, 2005

Mad Hot Ballroom

I saw this documentary last night about a bunch of kids in the New York City public elementary schools who take a ballroom dancing class, which culminates in a city wide competition. It is so many things at once, all of them terrific. I loved this movie because I felt like I was watching my own students on the screen. I think my watching the movie as an NYC public school teacher is a perspective unlike any other viewer of the film, but it is immensely enjoyable nonetheless for anyone, I would think.

This movie represents perfectly what it's like to be a teacher on the absolute best days. It doesn't really represent the lame things, but it's not about teaching really. If you are interested in what it's like to teach in NYC and why it can be so rewarding, then watch this movie.

This movie represents the general feeling I have about my job, even though the evidence of my success or failure isn't quite as evident as winning or losing a contest. In the end I feel like I'm providing a service that the students couldn't receive through another outlet. At the same time, this movie represents very clearly the impact that a pointed curriculum along with an engaged teacher can provide to students.

I would suggest that everyone see this movie because it is all at once hysterical, uplifting, inspirational, and it also gives a peek (although miniscule) into some of the issues these kids are facing.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home