Thursday, July 07, 2005

I Don't Understand Why People Smoke

Everyone knows at this point that smoking is bad for you. If you smoke consistently for a long time and you don't happen to get cancer, then you will shorten your life span by many years.

I can understand wanting to quit and not being able to. I don't know that I've ever been addicted to anything, but I can appreciate that it is hard to quit given an addiction to smoking. The people who try time and again to quit and are unable to have my sympathy. My father fell into that category (and eventually died of cancer, incidentally).

I don't understand people who do smoke and are not trying to quit. I also don't understand why anyone would start smoking in the first place. I especially don't understand why one would start smoking. I don't buy that "it makes you look cool" thing. Has anyone decided to not hang out with you because you don't smoke?

I understand there's a whole little subculture involved where you can bum cigarrettes and be friendly with other smokers and identify with their plights about not being able to smoke inside places and such, but that can't really be worth the downside.

If someone asked you to pay $7.00 a day for essentially no benefits and also you'd shorten your life by 7-10 years if you don't get cancer, would you say yes? In my view starting to smoke is basically making that deal.

What am I missing?

Comments:
I fight a battle with nicotine EVERY day. I've quit for year long periods at a time, just to get tripped up by just having 1 at a party or something. It's really hard to quit something that addictive.
My body loves me MUCH more when I don't smoke. I tend to go to the gym more, and be more active when I'm not smoking. Though it IS stupid, and though I don't smoke much (probably a little more than Joe) I know every time I light up that I could be making a really big mistake. Then again, I don't drink alcohol or take drugs, so really, you have to pick your poisons in life.
That said....It's only REALLY expensive to smoke in major cities. Here in the back country, cigarettes are still at about 3 dollars a pack. Get a good buy 1 get 1 deal going, and hop the NH boarder to avoid taxes, and really, it's quite affordable.
 
J, I feel like my body, too, likes me more as a non-smoker... that said, it's amazing that some (European) professional soccer players smoke before and after games. Exception to the rule.

"You have to pick your poisons in life"... literally, in this case.

Chuck, I think it's the same mentality that makes one go to McDonalds frequently when you know the negative life-shortening effects excessive amounts of that food can have your life... stopping by Bischoff's when you don't really have to...

I guess the question is, why would somebody START, right?
 
I can understand the McDonald's analogy. As Joe points out, though, you have to eat, and you don't have to smoke.

Given that you must eat something and fast food is generally accessible and cost effective, you can at least make an argument for it.

Smoking is none of those things. I'm not dismissing your point, though. I can see how they're related.
 
Where did Joe point that out?

There are other foods that are just as accessible and as cost effective (a plain bagel from any bagel place, for instance; a banana and a roll from your local 7-11, etc...) when you just need a quick fix or bite to eat. People choose McDonalds because it tastes good. At least in Bergen County, there's no way that you can't find an alternative to fast food at any given time that's healthier and as convenient and as cost effective.

And people smoke for similar non-biologically vital reasons: taste, that buzz and relaxation that Joe mentioned, etc...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home