Sunday, September 26, 2004

The arbitrary naming process.

I was wondering if the title of my blog conveys the meaning I had intended it to convey. I'll bet it doesn't.

When I was thinking of the title I thought about how a lot of greatest hits albums, and other similar products where the greatest songs, essays, stories, and so forth are collected together in one edition, they often call them "The Quintessential [name here]". The word quintessential, incidentally, is a great word. I remember being in sixth grade and having that as a vocabulary/spelling word and thinking even back then that it was a great word. Anyhow, the idea behind it is that what the great minds behind the product have done is weed out the extra stuff and put together only the greatest hits, as it were, of that author, singer, band, or whoever.

I liked the idea of this being a place where my quintessential thoughts would be put down, but realized very quickly that these would not be the greatest thoughts to ever have emerged from my skull, and, in fact, most likely quite the opposite would be true. So since I would be putting down arbitrary thoughts, rather than just the great ones, the title seemed apparent. So there you go.

It occurred to me just recently that the words 'arbitrary' and 'ChuckJerry' sortof rhyme and that the inspiration for the title could be construed as simply a phonetically pleasing option. While it is somewhat phonetically pleasing, it is a coincidence and the intended meaning is, on an abstract level, somehow more pleasing.

Comments:
I don't want to drop the "The" because it takes away the intended meaning and defers solely to the rhyme.

I don't like the rhyme as much as the intended meaning.
 
"... but he was just being Vinny. He was just being the quintessential Gambini."

"... There goes the quintessential Norton."

All I could think of when I read this post.
 
Excellent, love it!
» » »
 
Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »
 
Post a Comment

<< Home