Monday, September 13, 2004

Teaching from the inside.

On Joe's advice, I'll make an effort to post some interesting stories about teaching and what it's like. In general, teaching is the most fun thing I've ever done, but it's sad sometimes to see how the system is failing so many kids, and to know that I'm part of that system. Most days, though, I feel like I do my part to make it better.

I'll start off with a couple of short ones from last year, my first year.

I have a conversation with one of my students that went something like this:
"Where's [student x]?"
"He's not here. He's gonna have a baby, though, mista."
"He's having a baby?"
"Yeah."
"Who in the world would sleep with him?"
"Ha, that's funny mista. That's the new thing though."
"What is?"
"Having babies."
"Having babies is the new thing? Like it's the new black?"
"Yeah, it's in style."

Another one that made me laugh pretty hard:
We were in class and a car backfired outside. The kids commented on how it sounded like a gun and they should duck. One of them said, "Imagine if it hit Mr. Gardner. He would go like this..." Then he was all melodramatic and held his chest and let out a wail. As he fell he said "I love math. Aaahhh."

The one that made me laugh hardest last year:
Two girls sitting next to each other were finally putting an effort into the class. One of them remembered a formula and solved a problem correctly and said "Aww yeah," and reached to high five her friend. The two of them legitimately meant to high five and completely missed each others hands. It was like that old movie The Dream Team. I literally had to stop my lesson for about two or three minutes to compose myself.

Comments:
Having babies while in high school is the new "in thing" to do? What the heck is going on in the world today?

Although I'm not one to talk - I'm having my 3rd kid in less than 4 years. But I'm out of high school, so I guess that makes it alright?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home