Wednesday, March 23, 2005

How about a conspiracy theory, Major League Baseball?

Ok, Barry Bonds is going to miss a significant portion of the season, possibly the whole thing. There seems to be a lot of buzz that this is just a precursor to his retirement. I mean, taking an entire season off at 42 to return to the league at 43 would be a gargantuan feat in itself. Granted, Barry is the best in the game, but it's safe to say that those were some wind-aided years. Assuming he's ceased any performance enhancing drugs he's not going to return to form at his age given the injuries he has.

Here's a conspiracy theory for you. I think it's highly possible that Barry may be in the midst of being forced out of the league by the commissioner and others who have a vested interest in the game. What has been going on in baseball over the last year or so has been an black eye to the league and Barry is at the top of that list.

Not only does all evidence point to him having taken steroids, but he's an ornery guy who has no one looking out for him in the media. What Barry has represented to baseball since the season ended is nothing short of an embarrassment. Now that he's on the verge of surpassing two of the best respected numbers in the books, I think the league is just up in arms. Barry passing Babe Ruth's 714 HR mark would be met with indifference and his eventual passing of Hank Aaron's 755 would be met with a good deal of ire in my opinion. I think the last thing baseball wants to see is Barry passing either of those guys, especially Aaron.

As the record stands right now, no one is questioning its merit or the monumental achievement it represents. If Barry broke it, there would be only doubters and I think a good number of people would lose some faith in the game.

As this is such, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the league has played some part in this hiatus of Barry's, and they are lobbying hard to keep him off the field. I don't know that they can threaten him with anything for returning, nor am I sure that they want to threaten him outright, but I just know that they are hoping he doesn't return.

Comments:
What if it's not Bud Selig who is pressuring him? What if this is all Barry's idea? Could it be that he got himself a very savvy PR person and they decided the best way for Barry to save face is to retire? Maybe he's not man enough to just straight out say "I'm retiring" and has to hide behind his *injury*. Either way, I think the right thing for him to do is leave the game.
 
"As this is such, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that..."

Mmmm.... doughnuts...

Seriously, though, I think you're both right. I don't think it's a crazy conspiracy as well.

I vote that Congress should get involved with investigating pro wrestlers on steroids. I tell you, man, steroids are destroying the sanctity of pro wrestling!

Actually, that's funny on my part... I'm sensing a potential future humorous blog entry on maxdsteel.blogspot.com!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home