Friday, January 20, 2006

My Recent NetFlix Failings

I'm still in the midst of 6 free months of NetFlix. I wasted the month of December because I just held onto all the movies and didn't get a chance to watch them. Anyway, the last few movies I watched on Netflix were all kindof disappointing.

Glengarry Glen Ross was pretty good. I enjoyed it. It was vintage Mamet, obviously based on a play and there were only 5 characters in the whole movie. Interesting, but hardly classic.

Bad Santa was stupid. It didn't rub me either way. The premise was stupid and contrived and I didn't hate it like Max did, but I was just pretty indifferent.

Monty Python's Life of Brian was pretty dumb. I didn't find it really funny at all. There were some moments that were funny, but the whole thing was just kindof dumb. It wasn't as clever as The Holy Grail, and, well, I guess that's all I have to say.

By far the most disappointing movie was Bananas, the Woody Allen joint (I guess it's like a Spike Lee joint). This was the second Woody Allen movie I saw, the first of which was Annie Hall. Annie Hall was great, and Bananas was stupid. It was almost beyond stupid. The plot doesn't hold together and it's not interesting and it doesn't even make sense. It plays like a bad Mel Brooks movie. The opening scene is pretty funny, though. After that part I thought the whole movie would be good, but it was all downhill from there.

Right now I'm hoping my luck will change. At the moment I have March of the Penguins, Heathers, which amazingly I've never seen, and Wall Street, which I've never seen all the way through. These are all supposed to be good movies, but then again, Life of Brian and Bananas were supposed to be good too.

Comments:
I found March of the Penguins very interesting. If you're into Discovery Channel, you'll like it. However, if you happen to be about 3 months pregnant and a little emotional, it's probably not the best movie to watch.

I want to see Wall Street again. I saw it in our HS accounting class (or at least parts of it). I'm wondering if I'll have a different view since I've been working on the street for about 3 years now.
 
How is it possible that you have never seen Heathers? I know you're a guy and all, but still, its classic 80s Winona Ryder (before the shoplifting) and Christian Slater. So many good lines. So much bad clothing.
 
I said "amazingly".
 
I just joined Netflix (and didn't get 6 free months - what's that all about?) and I'm wondering why I didn't do this before? It's a-mazing because we can now get the movies that Blockbuster (a) doesn't carry or (b) is always out of.

Let us know what you think of Heathers.

For the record, our first three DVDs were a David Bowie documentary from the 70s that we have been unable to find anywhere, a old poker movie Lisa's father recommended to us ("The Cincinatti Kid"), and The Brothers Grimm.

Especially with "classic" movies... I'm expecting great things from Netflix.
 
I LOVE netflix. And since we live so close to New Brunswick, which is one of their distribution centers, turnaround time is super fast. In the beginning, I was going through 6 or 9 discs a week. I also did not have a job at this point.

Netflix is how I got ito TV series I would have otherwise missed, like Dead Like Me, which is hilarious.
 
i thought the brothers grimm was one of the worst movies i've seen in a long time
 
Post a Comment

<< Home