Thursday, July 27, 2006

Riven, The Installation

Riven, you may know, is the sequel to the game Myst. If you've never heard of Myst, then all you need to know is that it is a computer game where you have to solve different puzzles to win. The graphics are pretty cool and are punctuated by fairly precisely placed Quick Time movies when something interesting happens.

The long version of the story is that I bought Myst whenever it first came out a while back, more than 10 years ago now, and I really enjoyed it. A couple years ago I was in Circuit City and I happened upon the 10th anniversary edition of Myst that came with its sequel, Riven, and the next sequel, Exile. It was on the sale shelf, if I remember correctly, and I bought it. I played Myst again and remembered how much I loved it. Then I tried to play Riven and I couldn't install it correctly. Then I played Myst 3, and I thought that it might be even better than the original. So as you may have guessed, I was pretty pissed off that I couldn't play Riven.

Like I say, this was a couple years ago and I looked online to see if anyone else was having trouble with the Riven installation in particular and lots of people were. I fixed the problem and was then able to play Riven. Right about that same time, within a couple of days, actually, we moved from one apartment to another, and packed and unpacked all our stuff. In that time, I misplaced the DVD-Roms that those three games were on. Again, this is the long version of the story.

So a couple days ago we were cleaning out one of our closets in the redecoration I mentioned earlier where the garbage room is now going to be the nursery and the computer room is now the computer room and treadmill and piano and turtle room. In the process of cleaning this closet, I found those games, which I was pretty happy about. I remembered that I had a problem installing Riven, but since I had fixed it, I figured it wouldn't be an issue.

I played Myst 3 again, since I really enjoyed it the first time. I had really never actually played Riven, I just walked around the opning boards before we moved those couple years ago, so I wanted to see what it was all about.

I put in the DVD and click on the program and the same thing that was happening before was happening again. The screen would go blank for a second as if the game were going to start and then it would just go back to the Windows desktop.

I searched again online and came up with all sorts of ransom issues it could have been and I didn't remember the first time what I had done. The suggested going into the files in the Riven folder and changing lines of text, or making it playable in a backwards compatible way with Windows 98 as opposed to XP, or downloading one of about ten available patches that do something, and all this random stuff. Also some people mentioned a Quick Time issue that comes up with some installations.

I screwed around with this thing for about 3 hours only to discover that the way to get the Riven program to work was to uninstall Quick Time 7 and reinstall Quick Time 6. How fucking counterintuitive is that? I don't even have words to describe that ridiculousness. And I feel like part of the puzzle in beating Riven is just being able to install the damn program correctly.

Since I bought this 10th anniversary game, they have subsequently released Myst IV and Myst V, which I thought about buying on Amazon or something. When I go to read the reviews, though, both of them have issues not necessarily with the game play, aside from some people complaining that the puzzles are too hard or too easy, but rather with being able to install the programs correctly on their computers because whatever equiptment they have is not compatible with the game. So now I probably won't buy the two sequels, even thought I know I would enjoy them, because I'm afraid I won't be able to play them since apparently some anti-piracy aspect of the discs the games are on makes them automatically incompatible with a huge portion of the people who want to play the game and actually buy it legitimately.

Que ridiculo...ah ha..ah ha ha ha ha ha. (a little obscure, perhaps, especially in writing as opposed to aloud.)

Comments:
I don't get the quote at the end...

It's strange that the QuickTime people didn't account for things like that when they updated from 6 to 7.

I fondly remember the days when I'd get a new computer game like a King's Quest game and it would come on like 20 floppy discs and you would have to install it first.
 
Hope the turtles are kept in an upstairs room with a good amount of light and have their tank changed regularly
 
chuckjerry.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.
 
Hello,

I mostly visits this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Plenty of useful information on chuckjerry.blogspot.com. Let me tell you one thing guys, some time we really forget to pay attention towards our health. Let me present you with one fact here. Recent Research displays that nearly 80% of all USA grownups are either fat or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Its true that we all can't be like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox, and have sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is really not as tough as you think. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am writer of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for quick weight loss.
 
І don't know whether it's just me οr if
perhaps everyone еlse еncountering problems
with yοur ѕitе. It lookѕ
likе some of the written text on уour content аre running off the ѕcrееn.
Can somebody else рlease рrοvide
feedback аnԁ let me know if this is hаppеning to thеm toο?

Thiѕ may be a iѕѕuе with my internet browseг becausе
I've had this happen previously. Cheers

Feel free to surf to my blog post: cheap shopping
 
Post a Comment

<< Home