Wednesday, December 29, 2004

The year for me.

Since I haven't posted in a couple of days, I decided to steal a post from Joe, which I haven't done in a while, and also from Brian.

1. What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?
I visited the Smithsonian, which was very cool. I learned to play some new songs on the guitar.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't have any this year, though I have a couple planned for this year. Short term goals I'd like to be rid of be next year.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Jenny Dabney, Rebecca Hall.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
I don't believe so.

5. What countries did you visit?
I didn't even leave the East Coast. I didn't leave NY or NJ except when I went to DC for 3 days.

6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
Lower cholesterol and better stamina.

7. What dates from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Tuesday, November 30, 2004. The day Ken Jennings lost on Jeopardy! That's a bit facetious, but I couldn't think of an indelibly etched day of this year.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I bought a new apartment, and also I wrote a thesis.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not wrapping up my father's estate, which I must do before it drives me crazy.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Aside from the high cholesterol, no.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A new apartment with a third bedroom which is referred to lovingly as the "baby room", despite the fact that I have no children yet. Someone is trying to tell me something.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Young voters (Republican and Democrat alike) and military personnel. Colin Powell is a stand up guy. Dave Chappelle and John Stewart also get props.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Dubya, Jim McGreevey, the guys who cut off other guys' heads.

14. Where did most of your money go?
To my new apartment and to DVDs. I guess I need a new vice.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I don't know that I'm the really, really, really excited type. I was pretty happy to finish my thesis, even though I didn't work too hard on it. It hung over my head for a semester without me doing a whole lot of work until the last two weeks or so.

16. What song will always remind you of 2004?
Either "Float On" by Modest Mouse or "Yeah" by Usher. I just like to go "Yayuh, wwwwhhhhattt??, Okaaayyyy" like Dave Chappelle does.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?

Equally happy, moderately thinner (not noticeably), and slightly richer.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Exercise, though I was good over the summer and in the last month or so.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Procrastinate.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I hung out with Kathy's family and then I went to Teaneck and hung with the homeboys.

21. Did you fall in love in 2004?
I was already in love, so I suppose not.

22. How many one-night stands?
Zero, though it's still only December 29th.

23. What was your favorite TV program?
I love Scrubs, though I always forget to watch it. I also really like The Amazing Race. 24 is great. SportsCenter always delivers. My three favorites, however, are The Daily Show, Late Night with Conan O'Brien, and Jeopardy!

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't believe so. I can't say that I really hate anybody.

25. What was the best book you read?
East of Eden, by John Steinbeck. The Da Vinci Code was entertaining.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Allman Brothers, 30 years late. Jason Mraz, though I think that was last year. Maroon 5 is good. I don't recall liking a newly popular band in many years, so the Maroon 5 thing kindof surprised me.

27. What did you want and get?
A summer vacation. The first summer since I was 15 that I literally did nothing work related. One of the best things about being a teacher.

28. What did you want and not get?
I wanted to sell my dad's house and other related things, but I didn't. I wanted a Democratic president, not necessarily Kerry, but certainly not Bush.

29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
On my 26th birthday I saw Wicked on Broadway with Kathy. It was awesome.

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I'm fairly satisfied as it is.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
Neat clothes, messy hair. From time to time I go for the "cool teacher" look, though that's sortof rare and I usually don't pull it off.

33. What kept you sane?
Reading keeps me sane. It challenges me to think in a world where that's not really required. Also my wife keeps me sane on a few levels. First, she's awesome and second being married makes me not so selfish, which is good.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
John Stewart is literally becoming a hero of mine.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?
I still don't understand why someone would choose to be a Republican if they don't make upwards of $200,000 a year.

36. Who did you miss?
My father. Also, I don't know if miss is the right word, but I wish that I saw more of my friends, especially Luke, Brian, Dave, and Chris. I see my other friends through playing cards or basketball, but these gies I need to see more often.

37. Who was the best new person you met?
I really don't know. I've known Kathy's friend, Nicole, for a long time now, but I realized recently how awesome she is.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004.
Loving life comes in appreciating the details.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"If you're having girl problems I feel bad for you, son. I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one."

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home